Thursday, May 5, 2016

Win a 58 Acre Virginia FARM - Opportunity of a Lifetime!

*** Entry deadline extended to Sept. 21, 2016! ***

Yes - that's right! You could write a 200 word essay and win a 58(+/-) acre farm/estate with a lovely horse barn and fenced pastureland!

Oh... and a house.

Well... really it's a circa 1905, 6,000 square foot Georgian mansion.

Oh... and $100,000 to cover taxes and what ever else might need covering after winning a prize like this! The estate is estimated at $1.5 million, but it can be yours for 200 words and an entry fee!


Oh, Scarlet... come out to the veranda on this fine day!



Welcome to Newstead on the James

I don't profess to know what you dream of, but let me describe my dream farm to you.

Let's start with the grand foyer. But don't let me hear you call it a "foyerrrr!" No. Something as grand as this deserves a French accent. It's a foi ā, my dear! And it's grand... much like the piano that currently resides in it. (Piano not included. You need to bring your own.)

So... walking into the foi ā, to the right one would walk into the parlor.  I mean, how cool would it be to invite some friends over and ask them to come sit in your parlor?
"Dudes! Check out the awesome pocket doors. Hold up now! Y'all better brush off your jeans before you sit in that sofa!"


Parlors are cool and all, but you know what's even cooler in my book?
The freakin' LIBRARY across the foi ā from the parlor! OMG, right?!?! I can almost smell the books now!
*sigh*


And while I could very easily get stuck in the library for hours on end, it would be remiss of me to leave you hanging about the rest of this amazing place... so... on to the formal dining room!

Set up for a quiet family dinner on the left, or a festive event on the right. WOW!

Now for me, a dining room is a wonderful place to entertain, but I'm a kitchen kind of girl! But the kitchen? Yeah... this house has a "Keep!" Can you imagine sitting in the keep, cup of coffee in one hand, warming yourself by a crackling fire on a chilly fall day?



 How on earth would one figure out how to divide indoor time between this beautiful keep and the library??

The house also has a second, modern kitchen upstairs, 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, an English basement (it has windows) and an attic space.

 

 

 

Oh - and check out this upstairs sitting room with a door out to a second story balcony!


And if you enjoy sitting in front of a crackling fireplace in the colder months, Newstead has 12... yes TWELVE fireplaces!

Now I know a lot of you reading this are saying, "Enough of the house! Show me the FARM parts!"


This beautiful barn has stalls for horses (or what ever other kinds of critters one might wish to house in it). The current owner has hair sheep and Morgan horses. To my understanding, the winner will have the option to buy the sizable herd of Katahdin sheep.

Who's up for a game of croquet on the lawn?




We all know the old saying, "If it seems too good to be true, it is!"
But in this case, it IS true! The farm's owner, Carol Carper has spoken extensively with her financial gurus to figure out just how to set this up so that she will be reimbursed for the sale price of the farm and the winner will have enough to cover taxes and associated expenses.

AND... when run properly, this farm can be completely SELF SUFFICIENT! Yes - managing the sheep, etc can cover the upkeep for this place. Currently Carol hosts weddings and rents rooms at the mansion now and then, but feasibly one could be creative and find a plethora of other ways to keep the funds coming in if they are not willing to do the wedding or Bed & Breakfast thing.

Heck... the estate is conveniently located between Charlottesville and Richmond, Virginia. If one wanted, one could have a day job just to help cover necessities and come home to this beautiful estate each evening.
Me? I'll be out there farming!

And just think how many chickens you could have on 58 acres! Wow, right?

So - why am I posting about this phenomenal opportunity? I am trying to spread the word because in order for ANYONE to win it, at least 7,000 entries must be received.
Yes - of course I would love to win, but what is meant to be will be. Perhaps YOU will be the lucky winner (and you'll invite me to come up for a weekend because you heard about it from me). Perhaps you and another family will go in together to try to win - it is a 6,000 square foot house, you know! Perhaps you and a group of friends will try to win.

At any rate, SOMEONE should win this house, and 1 in 7,000 odds are far better than any lottery I know of!

The entry fee of $233.00 will help Carol recoup her costs and also provide the extra $100K for the winner to use toward taxes.

And now for a whole bunch of links, because you SHOULD enter this contest!


Hardest part for me? Saying what I want to say in only 200 words!
Now - GO forth, share this story like crazy with everyone you know and write an amazing essay about why YOU want to run Newstead on the James!

Share this link with your friends: http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2016/05/Newstead.html
Or Share by clicking the "More" button at the top of the page!


***

18 comments:

  1. This would be more than I want to take on but I'm sharing it in case the right person will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this would be a dream for me.I have all the farm animals horse chickens rabbits cats dog fish .I live in the city wish i could walk out and have all my animals great me on my own property instead of boarding

      Delete
  2. Excellent blog! Thank you for sharing and presenting it in such a nice way! I have also entered and sharing on my many pages and social media outlets to try to get the word out there! I hope you don't mind if I share the link to this site as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know about 200 words - when I look at this, all I can think of is "I'm home!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept and hope the farm ends up in the hands of a preservationist family involved in green and humane farming. Good luck finding earnest and deserving individuals. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has there been any word on the total entries so far? With less than 1 month to deadline I am hopeful the minimum was met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that historically the majority of entries come in within the last few weeks of a contest like this.

      Delete
    2. Here's hoping! Good Luck to everyone!

      Delete
  6. So I'm curious about this because I remember seeing this a few years ago. I think it's a scam. Anyone do it and hear back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you saw a few years ago was another Virginia horse farm... not this one. :-) A number of farm, mansion and bed & breakfast owners have successfully done this kind of contest.

      This is no scam. :-)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pics i ever seen these, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just don't understand how this can not be a scam. It's asking for people to send in $233.00 to enter the drawing. Most drawings are a buck or two like lotto or a raffle. But then there are other events where there is no purchase necessary. But to send in $233.00 times 7000 people that's 1.6 million dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll explain...
      The $1.6 million from entry fees covers the sale price of the home to pay the owner for her house and farm. The estate is valued at $1.5 million.
      The extra $100k goes to the winner to cover taxes and incidentals associated with winning such a large prize.
      This way the owner can recoup her costs and retire and the winner gets the estate - free and clear.

      The owner has spoken at length with lawyers and financial gurus to make sure this works properly. She has lawyers involved in every step of the process to make sure it is run legally and that nobody gets cheated.

      If the full number of entries (7,000) are not received, the owner will be REFUNDING all the money to the entrants.

      Also - the winning essay will be chosen by a panel of 20 judges. No identifying information may appear on the essays to insure anonymity.

      It is not a scam. :-)
      And seriously - a 1 in 7,000 chance of winning is great odds - especially for anyone who can present a good reason for wanting to own this amazing farm in a 200 word essay. Talent matters. :-)

      Delete
  9. I have entered several others in the past and all fell short. The one I didn't enter, in Lowell Maine, DID have a winner! What a fantastic way to pass along a legacy like this. The postmark deadline for the Newstead was yesterday; here's hoping we soon read about a very lucky winner. However, I hope they carefully secure legal and financial representation because $100K will not cover the liability immediately due to the IRS. sigh.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I might add that I received an immediate REFUND from those previous contests that did not get enough entries. This is to assure Tammi Watkins that these contests are very regulated, watched, and on the up and up.

      Delete
  10. WOW! The agonizing wait continues! That September 7th deadline was extended to September 21st so there is still time to enter everyone!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=733819100090407&set=a.569725056499813.1073741825.100003869719287&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very sad to report that the contest ended with NO award, as per Carol Wright's update on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you think. We LOVE getting feedback!

Your comment may not show up right away. Due to spam I have had to turn Comment Moderation on to prevent the garbage from piling up. Sorry for the inconvenience!